Thursday, April 17, 2008

Want To Grow Strong?

I sat with someone yesterday who talked about wanting to grow strong spiritually with as much earnestness and desperation as I have seen in a very long time.  I wanted with all my heart to wave a magic wand, pray a special prayer or take some other quick step and help them see significant immediate progress.  We did talk and we did pray and our conversation sounded a lot like read with us in the bible, interact on our forums, pray, serve, connect with the community of people and over time you'll be amazed at how far you come and how strong you grow.

Two hours later I was driving with a friend of mine for our first real mountain bike ride of the year.  I have been feeling good and riding my road bike a bunch (on flat paved surfaces) which I thought would really take the edge off of this thirteen mile hilly course.  As you can guess I was wrong and about four miles in I started walking my bike up hills so that I would not kill my legs and would actually be able to finish the entire loop.  I wanted to ride up all the hills and I wished with all my heart that I was in better shape and could fly through everything.  I wanted to be able to wave some magic wand and "be there".  

The truth is that my desire to be immediately in shape after far too much neglect for far too long is the same as people wanting spiritual strength quickly as well.  You have to train and work and experience pain and keep pushing when you don't feel like it or think there has been any progress.  Gaining strength is difficult!  There is way more pain than people like to think or promote.  I am looking for another immanent opportunity to hurt and feel like a totally out of place out of shape "wanna bee" because I know if I don't I'll never get there!   

Having experienced physical fitness and strength and spiritual fitness and strength at various times throughout my life I must say that the price of the journey, while great, is worth every penny.  Perhaps this journey for me physically will inspire me enough to maintain what I am achieving this time around instead of always starting from scratch... 


1 comment:

Steve said...

Spiritual training... the nitty gritty of working out our salvation. I likey and hatey all at the same time.