Thursday, July 14, 2011

Funeral Protocol...

Bethany and I travelled extensively Sunday evening and Monday, in order to participate in the funeral of our dear friend Larry Taylor.  When I arrived, looked over the elements of the service, and even during the funeral itself, a couple things struck me (in a very positive way).

Some of the typical protocol or elements of a funeral were not present and some were present in unique ways (that were customized to Larry's life and preferences).  Pastor Wally and I received a number of compliments, which included things like, "I've never been to a funeral like that", "I've never been to a funeral where it was truly a celebration of that person's life", and "that was the most meaningful funeral I have ever been too".

While we certainly take little credit for the experience, it did get me thinking about what truly was unique and the relationship of this funeral and funeral protocol.

I have officiated a number of funerals where the only stories or knowledge I had of the person where things that I learned from friends and family over the few days leading up to the service.  In cases like this I am so thankful for protocol...that helps me know what to say and when to say it...and which elements are somewhat essential.

Larry's funeral, however, was different!  Wally and I both knew this man for the span of years.  We laughed with him, we were sad together, and we joined hands, hearts, and lives in order to make a difference in our community for our God.  When you know someone like we knew Larry whether or not to drive ten hours for the funeral does not even factor into the equation!  When you know someone like we knew Larry, reading this scripture and singing that song is not always necessary, as you have plenty of personal stories and shared life to celebrate with!

In the coming years I know that I'll have funerals where protocol is followed and funerals where it isn't.  I want to be the kind of pastor and leader who cares about and shares life with people!  I pray that God would grant me the opportunity to lead more of this type of funeral than the other!

No comments: