Thursday, March 01, 2012

FAD ALERT!!!

On Tuesday I took my son to the dentist for his six month teeth cleaning/check-up.  As a reward for his excellent behavior we got a happy meal lunch before returning to school.

The toy in this particular happy meal is what you and I would call a "spinning top".  My six year old son knew it as a "Beyblade".

***WARNING: Do not google this word unless you want to learn about the extensive marketing that is now behind our once simple toy, complete with online stores and what seems like an animated tv show!!!***

Needless to say my son was and is very excited about this, as are a large number of his fellow classmates.  They apparently bring these things to school and play with them at recess...seeing who can spin their top the longest.

This morning as I dropped my son at school there was a CRISIS!  He thought his toy was in our vehicle and it turned out that it was MIA...most likely at home.  After dropping him and returning to our house, a one minute search resulted in the discovery of his newest treasure (actual value = 2 cents)!

There was part of me that thought him going the day without it was a good exercise in discipline...and then realizing it would take all of two minutes to run it over to him, I decided to!  Upon arriving, I immediately noticed that he was hanging out with a group of kids who were spinning their tops, which showed me how excited he is about this for the moment (watching even without his toy and the ability to participate).  I put my hand on his shoulder and he turned around.  As I pulled his toy from my pocket, I instantly became his hero all over again (the hug and kiss were reward enough)!

My points are simple...

1. I obviously don't care much about beyblades, but I care deeply about my son!  I could have easily rationalized how it was "good parenting" to deprive him of this for one day, but to be honest that would have had more to do with the importance I place on the things I need to work on over the things that are important to my son.  Taking a total of less than five minutes not only meant the world to my son this morning but it also spoke to him and contributed to the belief I always want him to have, and I always want to be true... "Christopher you are worth your Dad's time".

2. I have "toys" I care about in my life that do not necessarily contribute to any more significant ends than my sons new obsession.  As his father however, it gave me great joy to give him something that engaged his heart and brought him joy.  Perhaps our heavenly father is not the mean dad in the sky that we sometimes make him out to be...the guy who wants us to permanently participate in self denial.  Maybe the things that engage our hearts and bring us joy also bring joy to him!

I bet there is a Christian website somewhere that could tell me all about the evils of beyblades...but I suspect whether we are talking about a beyblade or a mountain bike (which is something I love)...that fathers, both earthly and heavenly, find joy in watching their kids play!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would have been a good lesson for him to learn 1. to keep track of his things and 2. to go without something to appreciate it more and without expectation of immediate gratification.